Powered By Blogger

Saturday, August 21, 2010

The AMC Pacer Wagon

As I had mentioned before, I have been on a two week sabbatical from work and partially out of touch with the world. Perhaps sabbatical is not an appropriate term since this implies it involved some form of scholarly activity which my time off most certainly did not. Last week, we spent a few days at a resort a few hours away from home and were stunned by a site that so overwhelmed me that I could not resist the temptation to write about it. It had nothing to do with psychiatry at all. But it amused me so much that I felt it was worth sharing with the world. Some stories are worth repeating.


The AMC Pacer Wagon has always had a certain geeky but cool mystique about it. Nerdy and awkward, but somehow the person who drove one was kind of a happening person. Sure they look like a Volkswagen Rabbit (the older ones) in the midst of anaphylactic shock, but the bubbly appearance just sort of works for some. I am not sure what the overall view of the Pacer was when it was made in the 70's, but in the 80's the view of the Pacer wagon could not have been better personified than in Wayne's World, the Movie where Garth drove a souped up version of a Pacer Wagon. His had cup holders, licorice dispensers and all other sort of additions to it. It was so nerdy that it was cool. It was cool that you did not have to take seriously.

Not that I would personally disparage AMC as a whole. Despite its image, I respect the company and mourn it's loss. AMC was the last of the independent car makers in the US and did make decent cars at one time. They were the owners of the Jeep line for one. That was why Chrysler bought them out in the first place. Their signature engine, the straight 6 certainly provided a surprisingly powerful configuration.* Porche has been using the straight 6 engine for some time in some models of the 911 for years so it must have some value. The AMX is still considered a classic in the muscle car circles. Perhaps not as popular as the Mustang, but still a car of note.

So the poor homely Pacer wagon comes out. I am not sure what the design team was thinking when they produced this bubble on wheels. Perhaps it was an attempt to completely reverse the boxy image imparted by the Ambassador. Maybe a poorly executed attempt at mimicking the AMX?

I have not seen a Pacer in years, but this one was the best one I have ever seen. An amalgam of POS (Piece of #&@) and souped up hot rod, this thing was an absolute laugh riot. We got a thumbs up from a passer by for even looking at this beauty. The details I will save for another post.

*As a testimonial to the power of the straight 6 engine, I have information that a 1972 brown AMC Hornet with a straight 6 configuration was driven in 1986 at 100 mph without difficulty on the Ohio Turnpike. The only reason for slowing was fear of the mighty Ohio State Troopers. This comes from a reliable source.

No comments:

Post a Comment