Powered By Blogger

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Hurricane Katrina

"New Orleans is below sea level and if a serious hurricane were to hit them, they are all like sitting ducks. It's only a matter of time." - Former resident of New Orleans speaking before Hurricane Katrina hit.

It was five years ago today that Hurricane Katrina changed the lives of a lot of people. It was a day that I remember well. I was pregnant at the time and already emotional and easily teary eyed over sad things. I remember hearing the news reports on the radio at work saying that the roof of the Super Dome was starting to make strange noises and they were fearful that it would give. I have been in the Super Dome before and it is big, very big, and if the roof came down, countless lives would have been lost. I had this worried feeling but I cannot even begin to imagine how it must have felt to be in there. Fortunately the dome held although the chaos that occurred in there afterwards was almost as disastrous. I am not sure that anyone could have imagined the chaos in the city that ensued after that.

I took my psychiatric oral board exams in New Orleans and passed them so the city will always have a special place in my heart. We spent some extra time there just exploring the city and taking a mini vacation afterwards. We talked to people there and there were several people that came home with us in our memories. The patient I had to interview certainly stuck with me. There was an owner of a small store in the French Quarter that we talked to. And a worker at Cafe Du Monde. Sometimes I still wonder if these people survived, and if so, did they return? I tried to find the shop in the French Quarter when I was in New Orleans over New Years and could not find it. It is easy to get lost in those square grid streets so I will never know.

What I do know is that I knew real people, so they were more tangible, not just a demographic or number. I worried about those people I met. I felt badly for them. I still worried about those that I did not maybe becuase it was easier to extrapolate from the ones I did know. I got choked up when they showed women with sick babies or parents separated from their children, especially anything about mothers and babies. That was all the pregnancy thing, mother/child bonding, lives shared, blah, blah, blah. Only women can understand. Sorry guys. I saw a lot of real people suffer a real lot. Nothing was going to be able to stop the levees from breaking at that point, but the rescue efforts were pathetic and inexcusable.

So why did I not do more myself? I wanted to. My employer was allowing people go help out with rescue efforts, but like everywhere else in the country, there were not enough psychiatrists on staff for me to leave on short notice. There was no one to cover for me. And I was pregnant and it was not safe for me to be there. So I gave my money to the Red Cross and prayed for a miracle. The miracle never came. But the people of New Orleans are a hardy bunch and had continued to rebuild despite the disaster.

I salute you.

No comments:

Post a Comment