Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Desperately Seeking Spring

If you are a follower of the woolly worm form of winter weather forecasting you have probably noticed that they were way off last fall. The ones we saw had a black front band that was moderately wide. The middle was mostly brown and the back tip was black. Instead, the entire winter has been cold and snowy. We live in a valley and were spared the depth of snow that nearby communities have endured, but we had snow nonetheless. And it was very cold and windy. The entire winter. According to the woolly worms, the early winter would have severe weather and snow for a while then a mild middle followed by a brief blizzard at the end of the winter. So much for the woolly worms.

Punxsatawuny, PA is about one hour away from where I live so I hear all about the Groundhog Day festivities. Since the woolly worms blew it my hope was maybe Punxsatawuny Phil would be right. It is certainly my I hope now since he saw his shadow and ran back in. An early Spring is predicted. We actually had a few days above freezing over the weekend and that was the first time in weeks. I was almost disappointed that is was not going to snow having gotten so used to this particular weather pattern.. I wanted to take my son sledding one more time, anyways.

But all things considered, I would welcome a respite from my car being covered with salt, the biting wind and being stuck inside. I notice the Sun rising a little earlier each morning and the days getting longer in the evening. I really miss dinner on the back deck after work and playing ball with my son in the yard. The melancholic mood that develops over time during winter grows old and it is getting time for this season to move on.

I am rooting for you Punxsatawuny Phil. I need a dose of Spring euphoria.

No comments:

Post a Comment